Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Story #2 Notes

Today's story was born of the interest I have in MMORPGs. I've been playing WoW for over six years now and I played a dozen or so more before that. The concept of a virtual, social world is intriguing to me and in many respects produces a unique and interesting sub-culture.

What I find really engaging about the MMORPG experience is how much players come to identify with their characters, even to the point where they will respond to the name of their character as willingly or more so than their given name.

This made me wonder; what if these characters were driven by more than just our actions, our desires? What if something could alter our control over them, permit them to act of their own virtual volition in a social universe?

I found it interesting enough to "pen" a story about, at any rate.

- D

No comments:

Post a Comment