Thursday, February 17, 2011

Novel Notes 1

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I sent my novel off to a publisher to look at and I received an answer today - quite a quick turnaround given the length of time many publishers are taking to review manuscripts.

Not surprisingly, it was a "no", and sadly it didn't really come with any helpful tidbits to improve what I'd already put to paper. It did say the novel wasn't "quite" what they were looking for and that I should keep them in mind for future submissions, but as much as I'd love to tell myself that meant I wasn't far off the mark it was more than likely a form letter.

Is it disappointing? Hell yes - I put months of work into that novel.

Is it expected? Yep. I can look forward to a string of rejections before I find the right publisher, the right book and the right time.

I've got two choices, just like I do everyday I sit down at this computer to write. I can stop, throw up my hands and say "it's too hard - I don't have any good ideas and I'll never be published," or I can dig in, start typing and know that someday, I'm going to get an email saying my work is something someone wants to publish.

- D

No comments:

Post a Comment