Friday, February 11, 2011

Story #19 Notes

Feyted Thrones continues - I'm having quite a bit of fun with this one, enjoying the world as it develops around the writing. It's a nice change of pace from the quick-hitters than I'm doing the other six days of the week, though I have a fondness for a great many of those as well.

Novel submission went out this week; we'll see what kind of response I get. Ideally, it's going to be a "this sucks, but..." with the "but" being ways to improve it to a point of possible publication.

So far, this project is just what I've needed to get me writing as much as possible. Honestly, between copywriting, blogging, and novel writing I'm putting more words to page than I ever have and that's a very good thing.

It's also helped me to clarify something that's been eluding me for a while. I kept trying to pin it down but every time I went to think about it it would slither away from my consciousness and I'd get distracted.

Fact is, I get paid to do copywriting and some blogging, enough so that I've turned it into a part-time gig. I have a "regular" job that I don't mind but isn't really what I want to do for the bulk of my life. I've been hesitant to call myself a "writer" because to me that always carried tones of "successful" in front of it - meaning that I felt I needed to be published, critiqued and have a possibility of a future in the industry before I could really embrace that title.

As it turns out, being a writer isn't so much in what I do as what I am. Terrible or brilliant, genius or generic, I write. I write with the hope of success, the dream of a best-selling novel, but even if that never happens, I'll still be writing.

I'm glad to have figured it out, finally.

Now, if someone would be so kind as to get me published? ;)


- D

No comments:

Post a Comment