Friday, February 25, 2011

Story 33 Notes

Today's story is more about characterization than plot, about the old man's life and how it has affected his choices in the present moment. I've been doing a lot of reading recently and come to the conclusion that character-driven plots are a great deal more fun that those merely moved along by set pieces, but I've found that writing great characters is a hell of a lot more difficult than writing great scenes.

On that note, I've finished the second book of the Mistborn trilogy and while I'm still impressed with Sanderson's characters, I thought the book itself was fairly weak. In some respects, I felt that the character development traced the same path as in the first volume, and at the same time found myself skipping over great action set pieces because I was a touch bored with the whole story.

I'm going to keep reading - I'm hoping this is a Lord of the Rings "Two Towers" type of situation, and I have great faith that Sanderson will pull it all together in the third book.

- D

No comments:

Post a Comment